google-site-verification: google935433b691795853.html KRISTY BERRIDGE: Book Review: The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel

Saturday 10 December 2011

Book Review: The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel

I thought I'd give you just a quick book review today as in truth, I'm gearing up for an awesome night out on the town and undoubtedly need at least four hours to get myself ready.
Okay, so I just made it sound like I'm negligent about the review and a lost cause when in pursuit of a speedy beautifying process. Not true, I'm simply distracted by the prospect of actually wandering further than my own backyard. I've been writing, blogging and generally arsing around in cyberspace for far too long without interaction with the general public.
My weekends are fast becoming a snore-fest.
So it's time for me to get my nose out of a book or away from the computer screen long enough to scream at my curling iron, gyrate with unknowns, and laugh with mates until the wee hours of the morning.
Ever and Damon have loved and lost each
other for hundreds of years - facing deadly
enemies, dark secrets and a powerful curse.
Now their love will be tested to its limits.
Ever and Damon finally have their chance to
discover their true destiny. The choice they're
about to make will unite them - or tear them
apart - forever.
Anyway, that aside. I recently finished reading the Immortals series by Alyson Noel. There were six in the series in total; Evermore, Blue Moon, Shadowland, Dark Flame, Night Star and finally, Everlasting.
This series is highly geared towards the YA market. There are a few supernatural elements in it, but not enough to excite anyone drawn to the horror genre. It's more of a spiritual novel, exploring chakras, potions, gemstones and nature's magic. It's also a love story, one that makes you want to slap a few people along the way.
I enjoyed this series, following the story of Ever and Damon, two beings fated as soul mates, destined to always be separated by their own stupidity, lack of faith and general interference from others. I say enjoyed because I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't exactly enthralling either. The writer has a wonderful idea encapsulated with beautifully written words, but unfortunately, it just fell short on the excitement levels that I've come to expect from the YA genre.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for ill fated romances, love triangles and even a bit of spirituality, but for two people wagering eternity, they both spend a lot of time complaining about what they don't have rather than the opportunities they do have. Fortunately the writer does wrap this series up smoothly. All characters are given their appropriate send offs, and any ill will between interacting characters is diminished. Overall it's wrapped up in a nice little bow for the reader, though I'm not certain I would have made the same choices if given the opportunity.
All in all, I'd give this series 3 out of 5 for it's light, but entertaining foray into the world of teenage immortality.
Well, have a good one - I will be ...

Kristy :)

3 comments:

  1. Kristy, I know exactly what you mean. I started this series, read the first two books and then stopped. I just couldn't get excited enough about the characters to want to continue. They both left me vaguely unsatisfied because they never seemed to make choices that I would have made. Anyway, I agree with your 3 out of 5 stars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy, Your review is dead on and i agree with you and Elizabeth. I read the first two books and on the third, but its the type of novel that doesnt quite make me want to sit in a room and read until i just cant bare sleeping. If given the opportunity i would have given the characters a more likable vibe. Concluding, a 3 out of 5 works perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was accidentally bought the immortals series: shadowland and i had never read the previous books. Do you think i would understand the storyline? I dont want to read it but ive wasted my money so yeah. Should i read it? Or buy the previous novels? Pleasss reply i need your help.

    ReplyDelete

Yes! I absolutely love your comments, and, now that I have read through the blogger instructions and actually know how to answer them, we are all sweet - so please, write!