google-site-verification: google935433b691795853.html KRISTY BERRIDGE: Book Review: Dance on Fire by James Garcia Jr.

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Book Review: Dance on Fire by James Garcia Jr.

Dance on Fire is the debut novel from the very talented James Garcia Jr. I've had the pleasure of mingling with this author via Twitter, Facebook and the bloggesphere in general - a very interesting and down to earth man who I was supremely curious about his writing, particularly given it's links to supernatural genre which you all know I'm a massive fan.
Dance on Fire is a story told from multiple person perspective - a rather fabulous way of consistently keeping the reader in the thick of the action and diving into the many layers of each individual character. I enjoyed being a sinister, sadistic vampire who preyed on innocent children, the hardworking detectives trying to solve a string of seemingly unsolvable murders, and the house wife with more layers than an onion and an unwavering faith in the almighty.
The small town of Kingsbury, quaint and generally peaceful, has now fallen victim to a string of gruesome (and I do mean gruesome) murders. Detectives fight to solve the mystery, unaware that creatures of the night stalk those who dare to stray into the shadows, feed mercilessly, and pursue a vendetta waged centuries before.
But are these creatures we've come to celebrate as blood-thirsty, depraved and without morality all as bad as we believe? Or for that matter, are vampires the only cause for the slayings of the innocent?
Dance on Fire reserves the right to keep you guessing. With such rich and complex characters brimming with intense emotion and unwavering beliefs in right, wrong and justice, it's easy to fall victim to the intriguing plot. Once the action began and the unfolding of past events were teamed with the present, I was truly unable to put the book down.
I thought perhaps some of the insertion of bible referencing would annoy me but in the end it served its purpose and began to make you believe that everything had happened for a reason. With only one typo error in the entire novel, a well constructed plot filled with relevant facts without the over stimulation of information, and I truly believe I found (pardon the puns) a killer novel to really sink your teeth into. 
It was almost too easy to rate this novel four and a half fangs out of five. I highly recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys reading the adult supernatural/horror genre.

Synopsis:
Two Kingsburg police officers have been butchered in an attack as ferocious as it is mystifying. Now two detectives and their families are being drawn into a battle that threatens to destroy them and those around them. In a marriage of horror and Christian themes of good conquering evil and redemption, Dance on Fire is the fictional account of characters drawn into the fire by supernatural forces.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, you! *waves*
    What a sweet surprise to find this review very early this morning as I was off to the dreaded day job! Thank you so much.
    I'm glad to hear that you made it through the "Bible stuff" okay. When I realized that I was writing a vampire novel 20 years ago when I first started it (It's a long story. *laughs*), I felt even then that I would need to find a fresh way of doing so. I went with crossing over the horror w/ the Christian themes. The hope was that it wouldn't hit people over the head w/ it, but simply freshen it up. So far, so good.
    Cheers, my friend!

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete

Yes! I absolutely love your comments, and, now that I have read through the blogger instructions and actually know how to answer them, we are all sweet - so please, write!