google-site-verification: google935433b691795853.html KRISTY BERRIDGE: Melbourne Supanova 2012

Sunday 15 April 2012

Melbourne Supanova 2012

Well, I've come to the end of yet another Supanova convention, otherwise known as a comic book and pop culture expo for those of you unfamiliar with the terminology. Last year I attended one in Brisbane with a massive turn out of well over sixty thousand people. I don't think Melbourne quite caught the numbers, but there certainly wasn't a lack of enthusiasm from the patrons.
This year I was an exhibitor, and though there were a lot of people rocking out their Anime costumes, Hogwarts robes, and Star Wars light sabers, there apparently weren't a lot of people who read books. Granted, I was trying to sell a 582 page novel at a comic book convention, but jeez, if I had a dollar for every person who asked me if there were pictures in The Hunted, I would have made a fortune. What happened to the younger generation? Where are all the readers?
So, despite the minor misjudgment of reading preferences, I just wanted to say a big thank you to Melbourne for having me. I love your food and public transportation system. I love the swag of people that did purchase my book and those of you that already have it, read it, and love it! But I did hate my hotel with it's alleged gymnasium (outright lie) and five minute walk to Melbourne showgrounds (let's try twenty).
Let's see if we attack this avenue of promotion later in the year ...

Kristy :)

1 comment:

  1. I went to MCM expo last October, which is essentially the UK's version of this stuff. Agreed about the lack of readers. So annoying. But it's so much fun at these kinds of things that I overlooked it. Did you like the atmosphere, and did you do anything other than sit there selling books?

    ReplyDelete

Yes! I absolutely love your comments, and, now that I have read through the blogger instructions and actually know how to answer them, we are all sweet - so please, write!