google-site-verification: google935433b691795853.html KRISTY BERRIDGE: Book Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Saturday 21 January 2012

Book Review: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

Let it be known from the onset that I used to be a hardcore paranormal reader with a penchant for adult twists in romance, violence and verbalisation. Now I've drifted from saucy encounters with supernatural hotties to the young adult genre. Even my own writing, The Hunted, is based upon teenage escapades.I have quite literally fallen for this softer world of unhurried love ridden by the potent yet ever changing emotions of young adults and I think Richelle Mead may just be the cause of it!
Needless to say I have read the entire Vampire Academy series. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons, but as I turned the last page, I did wonder what would become of poor Adrian Ivashkov. Thankfully the author decided to question the destiny of some of her more interesting and valid characters from this series and wrote 'Bloodlines'.
This novel follows the story of Sydney Sage, an alchemist currently revoked of her duties covering the existence of vampires from the human populace. Essentially unpopular among her peers because of her previous encounters with vampires and her general acceptance of their existence, she's asked to redeem herself in what Alchemists believe to be a most undesirable situation - consistent inter-species interaction.
Due to violent attacks and political agendas within the vampire royal family, Sydney is compelled to prove her worth, agreeing to go undercover, protect said undesirables and yet distance herself from any emotional connection that could arise - a task that she ultimately finds difficult to balance.
I found Bloodlines gripping and intricate - a few stories interwoven together, ultimately converging at the end of the book and unraveling the whole picture with complete clarity. The goals were attainable and the villains were unsuspecting. The characters were honest, relatetable and consistent. I can honestly say that I didn't put this book down often, but there were moments when I wanted more, when I wanted what was ultimately forbidden between vampire and human ...
I will definitely pick up the second book in this series when it is released and I happily give it 4 out of 5 stars for keeping me thoroughly entertained and guessing.
Have a good one,

Kristy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes! I absolutely love your comments, and, now that I have read through the blogger instructions and actually know how to answer them, we are all sweet - so please, write!